Over time, concrete driveways and sidewalks can collect mildew and stains, making them unsightly and decreasing the curb appeal of your home. These stains can also weaken the concrete, making it more susceptible to cracking. Using a pressure washer, you can rid your sidewalks and driveway of stains quickly and efficiently while using less water than a traditional garden hose.
Pressure washers can be purchased or rented at most local home improvement stores. Follow these instructions to have your home driveway and sidewalks looking as good as new in no time!
- Clean and prepare the area – Begin by sweeping the surface of your sidewalks and driveway to remove any dirt or debris.
- Use a degreaser – Applying a degreaser to the concrete will loosen any stains and make for easier removal. If the pressure washer you are using does not have an attachment for applying degreaser, use a stiff-bristled brush to apply to the concrete.
- Prepare the pressure washer – Read the instructions for your pressure washer since each washer is different. Make sure that you have the correct hose connector to attach the pressure washer to a water source and have the correct detergent to use. Pay attention to the pressure settings as most washers have a lower pressure setting for detergent and a higher pressure setting for rinsing.
- Begin washing – With the detergent in your washer, begin at the higher end of the driveway or sidewalk and work in the direction of water flow. Point the sprayer to the concrete and move back and forth across the driveway overlapping each stroke. After applying detergent to the entire surface, let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse the surface – Using the higher-pressure setting, repeat the previous step with no detergent. This will wash away the detergent and also any mildew or stains in the concrete. Heavier stains may require more than one pass with the pressure washer.
- Seal the surface – After your sidewalks and driveway have fully dried, you can add a sealant to repel future stains. Using a paint roller, apply the sealant to the entire surface. Allow the sealant to dry for the entire time indicated on the directions.
For information on renting a pressure washer, click here. Adding value to your home and curb appeal makes your home inviting. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.Tags: Home Improvement